- One-on-one coaching
- Department or small team coaching
- Management team coaching
- Employee performance plans
Download our new report: Is Business Coaching Right for you?
What is coaching?
Let me know if any of these scenarios sound familiar.
- You have one employee (or maybe a few) that you have had numerous “talks” with about their performance or their behaviour and while things improve for a short period of time after your chat, the poor results soon return. This ends up eating a lot of your time and energy and frustrating you, your management team and the rest of your employees.
- You have a nagging business problem that you have tried numerous ideas to fix, but no matter what you do, the problem still hangs around or gets worse. This causes you to become over cautious and slows the growth of your business.
- Employees that were once top performers, are now doing the bare minimum and their attitude may be deteriorating. You find yourself spending most of your time on people problems and not focused on growth.
- You’re having trouble keeping your high performing employees or you’re facing higher employee turnover.
These types of situations are visible in almost every business. You end up in a cycle of problems and not focused where you should be; growing your business.
Why is coaching so important?
As a business owner and manager, you are facing unprecedented change in your organization.
- Increased competition
- A more informed customer
- Increased pressure to pay higher wages
- Higher costs to produce your products and run your business
- Employees with higher levels of stress and anxiety
- Higher levels of absenteeism and sick leave
Coaching is about the individual and their impact on the team. The number one goal of coaching is to help the members of your team become responsible for their choices, actions and results.
When this happens, your business becomes transformed because everyone is accountable.
How does coaching work?
Sessions are one-on-one and confidential. In order for a coaching program to work, a foundation of trust must be achieved.
A coaches job is not to simply give answers. A coach is focused on helping the individual learn how to find solutions on their own and to become more confident and responsible for their own success.
Monthly sessions are scheduled, with each around 30-45 minutes. Topics discussed can focus exclusively on their job and work, but many want to discuss personal matters that may be affecting their work performance. Coaching commitments are typically 6-months to one year.
This is not therapy. While coaching can and does help individuals overcome problems and get past limiting behaviour, we are not licensed therapists. If chronic problems are present or issues with substance abuse etc. arise, we will recommend that the individual seek professional assistance to work on those issues.
What you can expect?
One of two things will happen when you start a coaching program:
- The employee will embrace the coaching process, put in the work and you will see improvements in performance, behaviour and attitude
- The employee fights the coaching process and either leaves the company or is eventually let go because their performance, behaviour and attitude have not improved.
Our goal of course is not to have anyone quit or be fired, but at the same time we can not help someone change that doesn’t want to.
80% of people who receive coaching report increased self-confidence, and over 70% benefit from improved work performance, relationships, and more effective communication skills. 86% of companies report that they recouped their investment in coaching within the first year.
How to get started?
The first step is to have a meeting with ownership or the senior management team of your business. We need to discuss your expectations as well as who you want to participate in the coaching program.
Next we will meet briefly with the team to be coached. This is typically in a group setting. Here we outline what coaching is, and is not, what to expect and how the program will work.
Lastly, we set up a monthly schedule with your team and start the coaching sessions.
Every other month we sit down with senior management to give an overview of the coaching sessions, their progress and any areas of concern while respecting the confidentiality of the individuals being coached.
To schedule a free no obligation phone call or meeting to discuss if coaching is right for your organization, call (905) 321-2663 or email [email protected]